Wednesday, December 24, 2014

The bus trip from HCMC to Phnom Penh was a very long trip, we leave at midnight which is so we are basically at the front of the queue at the border for the 6am opening. We are arrived at around 3am and just slept on the bus until the border opened. Getting through was pretty straight forward and we were quickly on our way again.

We had a river crossing we need to make on a barge (a bridge is being built at the moment), when we got off the other side we got stuck and had to stuff around for about 30 minutes before we could get moving again. We finally made to Phnom Penh about 3pm that day. I found a really nice hostel there that had only opened a few weeks earlier, very social place with a pooll out the front.

I met two Kiwis on the bus who came with me to the hostel. They were going out to the shooting range, so I went along to watched. The were going all out with a bazooka and M60 machine gun. The guy taking us out asked if they wanted to blow up LPG takes which they jumped out. We stopped off and they bought one each and then we were on our way out to the mountains where you have to go to shoot the bigger stuff.

The noise was unbelievable and after they spent an hour shooting stuff and spending $1000 we headed back to town.

A group of us then went out for some "happy" pizza which apparently very popular all over Cambodia, but it was a lot happier than anyone expected and it was a real adventure getting home. Luckily one of the people has not had one and that helped all of us get home.

The next day we went out to the Killing Fields which is a pretty depressing place to walk around, I still need to go to the S21 Jail which is now a museum. This is where people were held before being taking out to the killing fields. Apparently is has even more impact than the fields. I will be going there when I go back through to get to Siem Reap.

My last day in Phnom Penh and I just went down to check out the palace and walk around the city center. I packed early and had a quiet night as I had to get up at 6am to be picked up for the bus to Kampot. The bus company picked me up and then went to pick up some other poeple, but he seemed to get it wrong what hotel he had to go to and after about 30 minutes of extra driving we finally got to the bus station and the guy there just point to a bus two blocks down the road and said Kampot. So we jumped back in the van and chased after it. Luckily being peak hour we had caught within 5 blocks.

After an hour of driving people started to smell smoke and burning, so we pulled over to be informed by one of the english speaking Cambodians on the bus that it could not go any further and they were sending another bus. 90 minutes later the bus finally turned up and we were on out way again.

I finally got here around 3pm with a four hour bus trip being seven hours. It was well worth the trip though as the place I am staying is great, it is about a 15 minute walk into town, but it is right on the river and am writing this in the bar/restaurant with a nice cool breeze looking over the river.

We had a power outage last night, so we spent half the night sitting around candles at the bar and it was really peacful. The internet has not been working since I got here, so I am about to head into town to find some free wifi. I am here for three more nights, today I am just checking out the town. For Xmas moring I am going out of ride to the Bokor National Park, I am breaking my rule about never driving a motor bike in these coutries because it is the only way I can get out there. It is pretty quiet out here so it should be safe especially since most of what I am doing will be off road.

I have a day after here that I still haven't decided what I am going to do, I was going to go further down the coast to sihanoukville, but can't decide if I am going there or not.

No comments: