Monday, January 05, 2015

So my last day at Kampot is not go quite to plan. I ended up doing nothing the day, I was feeling a bit odd - but not quite sick. This lasted most of the day and night, I felt very lethargic and had no energy. I still went out with the group for dinner which were amazing pork ribs, but I could hardly each. There was quite a big party going on at the guest house, but I could not get into it and just had an early night.

The next morning I woke up early as I had to catch the bus back to Phnom Penh, as soon as I took my tablet I was sick so I decided to take taking the tablets which can have very bad side effects. By the next day I was feeling normal again.

The bus trip back to Phnom Penh was on a minibus and was back at the hostel within four hours of leaving, I had a pretty quite night and woke up the next day to go to the S21 prison where people were held before being taken to the killing fields. This really did bring the whole thing home, seeing the photos of all the people the last 13 people who found dead at the prison still chained the beds where they were torture. It is always hard to see this kind of thing, but I think it is an important part of travelling to fully grasp what happens in other countries.

I then went for another walk around the city and prepared for another early night as I had to get up early to catch the boat to Siem Reap at 7am.

There was two of us from the hostel that were catching the boat to Siem Reap and the driver to pick us up was late and we got there with a minute before the boat was leaving. Everyone on the boat starts on the roof to take in all the views and water front villages on the way through. I was not prepared to be in the sun all day, so thought I would go in and check out the seating and that is when it ocurred to me that they depend on people staying on the roof all day as there were only about half the number of seats to people. It must be a nightmare if it starts raining.

It was a great smooth trip with great views of the local villages and fisherman, but suffice to say by the time I dot to Siem Reap I was very burnt. I recovered well, but am starting to peel now but it is still brown.

No comments: