Friday, October 25, 2013

The conference is finally over and it is time to get the blog up and running. So here is a breakdown of what I have been up to in the last week.

I left Melbourne last Thursday morning, flying to Sydney to get a connecting flight to LA. Work sent me Premium Economy, so it was a very comfortable flight. The only downside was that I had seen most of the movies showing on the flight. So a few drinks and I was ready for a sleep anyway.

Landing in LA I was all ready for the long wait through US Immigration, but when I got to the line there was only two people ahead of me and I was out within 10 minutes. Got a shuttle bus to the Hostel just off Hollywood Boulevard. So due to the time difference it was still Thursday morning.

Did not get up to much for the rest of the day, just walked down the Boulevard to the Chinese Theatre and checked out the area. It is a pretty run down area and no way as nice as I expected. For the rest of the day I just hung out at the hostel recovering from the flight. I had dinner and drinks at the hostel.

After a good sleep I took the hostel walking tour to Beverly Hills. A few of the places we went past was Elvis's LA home, where Michael Jackson died and the Playboy Mansion.

Tyler a guy I worked with at Hydro now lives in LA, so he came to stay at the hostel for a couple of nights (he lives a bit out of the city for us to stay there. After a few drinks catching up we went back to the hostel for a BBQ dinner. We then went to see a UK house band call Disclosure. We then went y to the Roxbury Night club.

On Saturday went to Universal studios to do all the rides and a backstage tour. After the big night we weren't feeling too flash after some of the 3D rides, but we made it through and it was quite cool doing the backstage tour. That night Tyler organized Ice hockey tickets to see the LA Lakers, great seat just behind the dug out area (not really sure what it is called).

On Sunday I went and picked up my rental car and started the drive to Vegas, I got out of LA pretty easily once I got on the freeway it was a breeze. It was pretty cool driving through the dessert, but I have a lot more of this to do in the coming week.

Once in Vegas I settled into my hotel room which is cool and waited for Ricky and Tony (my coworkers) to turn up. We went out and got dinner and put our plan down for the coming week. I won't go into too much detail about the conference other than saying it was very long days and I learnt a lot. The evenings were filled with socializing and drinking and last night the band Imagine Dragons played.

So the conference is now officially over and I am going to spend today and tomorrow in Vegas and then starts he big drive that will finish in New Orleans after about eight days. Tyler is coming to Vegas for the weekend, so we will hang out for a couple of days doing a bit of shopping and partying.

No comments: