Friday, November 01, 2013

It is funny how hard it is to sleep sometimes - I had everything going for me last night, 9.6 mile hike, the restaurant closes and 9pm and no TV in my room - yet I was still awake at 11pm. Never the less I still made it up early and packed up all my gear ready to check out by 11am. I had a quick coffee and juice, then headed out on a 3.8 mile hike so I could get back and shower before checkout.

I did the window trail today, this is to the "V" you may have seen in a lot of my photos. Where I am staying is called the basin, but it actually 1500ft above the surrounding area, it is the middle of a big mountain range. The window is a gap in this range where all the water collected in the basin falls to the ground. It is dry most of the year, but it was a must do walk to do before I leave. Still no bears or lions.

After finishing the walk I checked out and had an early lunch before hitting the road. I took one of the smaller highways to Uvalde, needing to go through border control three times, since I am was so close to the Mexican border at Big Bend and for most of my drive today it is understandable. I never actually left the US, but they are still looking for illegals.

It was quite a nice drive, going through Amistad National Recreational reserve.

I got to Uvalde about 6pm and have settled into what seems like a nice hotel. I really feel like I am Texas now, the hotels moto is "we welcome hunters". It is Halloween tonight, the hotel has a bar but I don't how crazy it will get as it seem pretty quiet so far.

Of to Houston tomorrow, first stop is NASA and then meeting up with my friend Kevin for a night out.

No comments: