Saturday, December 15, 2012

After a late minute change of plans I decided to jump on the ferry to Egypt last night instead of spending another day in Aqaba. I Figured I would get more out of the day here than there as it is a lot cheaper here and there is meant to be really good diving.

Though the actual ferry trip only takes two and half hours I actually arrived at the Aqaba port at 10:00pm and finally got out of the port at Nuweiba at 8:30 the following morning.

For starters you have to be there two hours before boarding, hence the 10pm arrival for a 12am boarding. Then there are all these crazing lines that are formed, first to get through the gates, then to line up for the boat, then do Egyptian passport control on the boat.

Finally by about 1:30am this was all done, but we still did not go anywhere. It turns out the boat does not arrived in Nuweiba until 6:30am, so it just sit in port until 4am Egyptian time and then takes off at 5am Jordan time to arrive at the required time.

An absolutely crazy ferry trip, made worse by the problems I had at the Jordan immigration. There seem to be a problem with my passport and next thing I know I am being taken to the police at the port. After waiting for about 15 minutes they finally started asking me questions - if I had another passport, had I been to Jordan before, had I worked here.

It appears they were interested in someone with the same name, but after about 10 minutes of questioning the penny finally dropped that we both had the name "David John" but different surnames and I was promptly released the my passport returned. That would of been a funny one for the Australian consulate to work out for me.

Anyway, I am Dahab now and it all seem safe. There is an obvious Army presence on the road here, but everyone says it is completely safe and there are no problems around here. Dahab is just a tiny resort town with loads of dive centers and restaurants. I have found out I can catch a bus from here to Cairo, so don't need to go further south to get the bus (as I initially thought), though the bus does take to southern route.

I already have one dive in today and two more planned for tomorrow, one of which is a famous site called the blue hole. Next thing I need to do is catch up on uploading some photos from Jordan, I took so many it is hard to decide which ones to upload.

No comments: